Branch office registration in Bangladesh | Step by step process of setting up a branch company in Bangladesh
Tahmidur Rahman, Director and Senior Associate
11 Nov 2019
This post in will explain in details about Branch office registration in Bangladesh – This article will explain the step by step process for setting up a branch office in Bangladesh. In addition, people want to know the required cost and documents for a branch office registration in Bangladesh. This article will explain everything you need to know about branch office with directions and infographics.
Table of Contents
Find the subsections below, If you want to jump through specific sections instead of reading the whole article.
How to open a branch office in Bangladesh?
A branch serves as an extension of its parent company, meaning, there will be no separate legal entity established. Its parent company is liable for the branch office’s debts or any other obligations and activities.
No operation in Bangladesh that is not expressly authorized by BIDA can be conducted by a Branch Office. A Branch Office is also expected to register with the Joint Stock Companies and Company Registrar and to comply with other legal formalities prescribed by the Companies Act 1994.
A Branch Office offers the advantages of ease of service and uncomplicated closing. Nevertheless, as the operations are strictly controlled by the guidelines for exchange control, a Branch May may not provide the best framework for its expansion / diversification plans to a foreign firm.A foreign company’s branch office can engage in commercial activities with prior BIDA approval. A branch office may have a local source of revenue from the approved business sector in Bangladesh and with the prior approval of the Inter-Ministerial Committee and sufficient justification and supporting documentation.
Allowed activities of a Branch office in Bangladesh
One of the major differences between a branch and a liaison / representative office is that a branch may engage in commercial activities with a prior approval from the Bangladesh Investment Development Authority (BIDA). The branch office, for example, can:
- collect payments on behalf of the parent company
- have local sources of income
- make outward payments from Bangladesh with a prior approval from the BIDA
Documents to submit in BIDA for a Branch office in Bangladesh
A Branch or Liaison Office is a proper legal body in Bangladesh once it is registered with the BIDA. It is called a multinational company extension, and not a separate legal entity. Unlike a Bangladeshi subsidiary, a Branch or Liaison Office parent company is indirectly responsible for all branch or liaison office debts and liabilities.
As per the guideline of BIDA, following papers/documents are required for application for opening of branch office. (4 copies of all documents).
1. Application in prescribed form signed by the authorized person for establishment of Branch office registration in Bangladesh.
3. Name and nationality of the directors/promoters of the principal company. (Attested by the concern Bangladesh Embassy)
4. Audited Accounts of last financial year of the principal company. (Attested by the concern Bangladesh Embassy)
5. Company’s board of director’s resolution regarding opening of office in Bangladesh. (Attested by the concern Bangladesh Embassy)
6. Proposed organogram of the office showing the posts to be occupied by both expatriates and local personnel.
7. Furthermore, Details of activities to be performed through the proposed branch/liaison/representative office in Bangladesh.
8. Finally, Any other documents BIDA, may ask for after primary reviewing
In addition, you must translate any documents that are not stated in English before submission. (Branch office registration in Bangladesh)
Inspection of the Documents by the BIDA
When the documents are issued, they will be thoroughly reviewed by the BIDA Inter-Ministerial Committee. When the committee is content with the verification then they may give the approval or can obtain additional documentation. Hence it is important to carefully prepare the papers.
Time and governments cost for approval
The average time needed for submission and getting the approval is one month. However, BIDA may seek physical representation of the documents as such this may make the process lengthier. (Branch office registration in Bangladesh.)
The government cost for getting the approval from BIDA is USD 300 (three hundred dollar)
“Tahmidur Rahman Remura is Considered as one of the leading firms in Company Law in Dhaka, Bangladesh”
Bdlawfirms & Carpe Noctem Bangladesh
Step two- Opening Bank Account to set up branch office
Following approval from BIDA, the next move is to open a Bangladesh Bank Account. It is because while no minimum paid-up capital is needed for the establishment of a branch office, a remittance of US$ 50,000 must be deposited within 2 ( two) months from the date of issuance of the BIDA letter of authorisation. (Branch office Registration in Bangladesh )
The documents required for opening bank account are:
- BIDA permission letter
- Draft Article and Memorandum of Association
- in addition, Passport of the bank account signatory (if foreign nationals) and
- lastly, NID (if Bangladeshi national)
Step 3- Bangladesh Bank approval
Also in regards to Branch office registration in Bangladesh, Parliament of Bangladesh revised the 1947 Foreign Exchange Regulatory Act. Now, however, Bangladesh Bank’s criteria for 18B approval has been withdrawn. In addition, according to the amendment, the branch office will report to the Bangladesh Central Bank after receiving approval from BIDA. Such a report with 30 ( thirty) days to approve should be made.
How to get a Trade License in Bangladesh?
Click here and go to the post, Tahmidur Rahman speaks in details about Trade License in Bangladesh | Fees, Processing and Renewal!
Step 4- Registration with RJSC for Branch office
After obtaining approval from both Bangladesh Bank and BIDA, registration with the RJSC is required. The following documents will be required for this purpose (for Branch office registration in Bangladesh):
- BIDA and Bangladesh Bank approval letter
- Certified copies of the Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association
- Full address of the registered or principal office of the company
- List of the directors and secretary (if any) of the company
- in addition, the name and address of a Bangladeshi who may represent the company in processing and accepting documents and
- The full address of the office of the company in Bangladesh
Step five: Obtaining Trade License from the Local City Corporation
In order to get trade license an application need to be made to the concerned city corporation. Along with the application, the following information and documents need to be submitted:
- Photocopy of AOA and MOA
- Photo of Managing Director or Chairman
- TIN of the branch office
- in addition, Rental agreement of the office and
- lastly, Nature of business
It usually takes 3 to 4 working days to get a trade license. In order to know more about how to get trade license in Bangladesh.
The government for trade license is USD 100 (hundred dollar).
Step six: Income Tax Registration & VAT Registration for the branch office in Bangladesh
After setting up the branch office, it is important that the branch office has a unique Business Identification Number (BIN) to carry out normal business operations in Bangladesh. Therefore a VAT registration certificate must be obtained from the Department of the National Revenue Board (NBR) to obtain a business identification number. It’s free to register for the VAT registration.
- TIN Certificate
- Trade License
- Import / export Registration certificate
- Furthermore, Passport sized photos
- Deed of Agreement
- Bank solvency certificate
- in addition, BOI registration and
- lastly, Memorandum and Articles of Association
In order to carry out normal business operations in Bangladesh after setting up the branch office, it is essential that the branch office has a unique Business Identification Number (BIN). Therefore, to get a Business Identification Number, a VAT registration certificate need to be obtained from the Department of the National Board of Revenue (NBR).
Can a foreign employee be employed in Branch office?
Capital requirement for branch office registration in Bangladesh
There is not minimum capital requirement in Bangladesh for branch office. However, there is a requirement for a minimum of US$ 50,000 inward remittance for registration of branches offices in Bangladesh as this inward remittance should cover the cost of initial establishment and six months’ expenses for operation.
Time period to set up or a branch office registration in Bangladesh
To set up a branch office in Bangladesh, conventionally it takes from 60 days (sixty) to 90 days (ninety) in total. Other formalities are consequential and will take about 2 weeks.
If you want to know how to open a company in Bangladesh or about company formation click here!
Business activities of a Branch office in Bangladesh
Branch office does not have its own independent legal body. This is because it functions as an extension of its parent company. Hence the parent company is entirely responsible for its branch office ‘s operations, debts and responsibilities.
Unlike liaison office, a branch office can engage in commercial activities. However, in order to do so, prior approval from the Bangladesh Investment Development Authority (BIDA) is required.
Activities that a Branch office can engage in are:
- Payment collection on behalf of the parent company
- Local sources of income for the branch office
- in addition, Make outward payment from Bangladesh (with approval from BIDA)
Compliances to maintain as a branch office in Bangladesh
In the approval letter issued by BIDA, the activities of a Branch office shall remain confined to the areas and for the time specified and authorized. Unless the organization wishes to extend its Office past the approval period, they will have to apply for the required renewal / extension in the specified form with correct documentation at least 2 ( two) months prior to the expiry of the current term. In addition to that the Branch office should also maintain the following compliances:
- Quarterly return of incomes and expenditures out of remittances received from abroad shall have to be submitted to the BIDA, concerned Bank, National Board of Revenue and Bangladesh Bank with documentary evidences under circular No 01/2009 amended circular No 03/2009 of 30th July, 2009.
- Any change(s) of present address shall be intimated to the BIDA for necessary action and approval before the proposed change is carried out.
- The permitted Office shall have to obtain clearances/ licenses from the concerned government agencies, as and where required, under the existing rules of the country.
- The permitted Office shall have to pay duty/income tax/VAT/revenues and other taxes payable to the government under the existing laws of Bangladesh.
Company Law practice in TR Barristers in Bangladesh
The Barristers, Advocates, and lawyers at TLS Law chamber in Gulshan, Dhaka, Bangladesh are highly experienced at assisting clients in dealing with and registering branch offices in Bangladesh. For queries or legal assistance to set up a branch office in Bangladesh, please reach us at:
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: +8801847220062 or +8801779127165
House 410, Road 29, Mohakhali DOHS
Want new articles before they get published?
Subscribe to our Awesome Newsletter.
PI Visa for foreign investor in Bangladesh • In order to apply for a work permit, foreign investors and employees must hold a PI (private investor) or E2/E3 (employment) VISA. • BIDA issues a letter of recommendation for obtaining a PI and E2/E3 VISA. • VoAs may be...
Bangladesh is the seventh largest consumer of goods and services in the world. In Bangladesh, franchising is an established method for launching a business. The industries of transportation, beauty, fast food, education, wellness, mail delivery, clothing, and health...
How to form an Association in Bangladesh abd Section 28 of the 1994 Companies Act: Under section 28 of the Companies Act, a nonprofit organization may incorporate as a corporation. This Association will enjoy all the advantages of a limited liability company, but it...
Traffic and Road laws in Bangladesh The administration of traffic and enforcement of traffic laws in Bangladesh have always been a mess. Our nation's road construction has never been able to keep up with the rapid increase of vehicles. In recent years, however, the...
F-1 Student Visa from Bangladesh: The most common visa for students wishing to study in the United States is the F-1 student visa. It is a temporary visa for foreign students who wish to study at an accredited school or college in the United States. The United States...
K-2 Visa for Children of US Citizens A K-2 visa allows the children of a K-1 fiance visa holder to enter the United States until an immigrant visa becomes available. To be eligible for one of these nonimmigrant visas, the applicant must be under the age of 21 and the...